US Tax Services… (continued)

A variety of US tax services are available to clients, including preparation of Personal Federal and State tax returns, Trust tax returns, Corporate Federal and State tax returns, and obtaining ITIN’s (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). Our services also include research and interpretation of a number of complex issues affecting US taxation, including Inbound and Outbound structures, Treaties, Regulations, and legislation specific to jurisdictions in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

For US citizens/residents there are various issues related to filing personal US tax returns which include (but are not limited to) reporting for foreign corporation ownership (controlled foreign corporations – CFC), professional corporations owned by US citizens/residents, ownership in passive foreign investment companies (PFIC), reporting of RRSP’s, RESP’s, TFSA’s, and Canadian Family Trusts to name a few. We will help you sort through the complexity of US tax laws, and ensure you report all the required information on the appropriate forms and tax returns.

For Canadians with US rental properties, timely filing of your US non-resident tax return is important to ensure you take the correct IRS elections to avoid withholding tax on gross rental income.

For US citizens that have not been compliant over the past years, there are favourable IRS programs available which allow individuals to come forward and file the required number of years of returns and forms, and avoid penalties on the late filing of their returns and forms. We have sent in hundreds of returns under these IRS programs, and can help you do the same thing.

  • ITIN applications
  • Canadian taxation of non-residents
  • Immigration to Canada
  • Emigration from Canada
  • International estate and trusts
  • International estate planning
  • Foreign investments by Canadians
  • US investments in Canada
  • Taxation of U.S. citizen or green card holders
  • Scientific research and experimental expenditures
  • Filing of the “Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts” (FBAR)